Monday, May 30, 2016

Imperial Dunes - California

The word “desert” always brings an image of impressive sand dunes to my mind.  But the variety of desert landscape is much wider.  And it really amazed me how fascinating it is to watch it while driving in West Coast states.  Just a few pictures do not show the whole beauty of the area.  I can admit I have plenty of them.
California Desert
But now I realized that none of them truly pictures attractiveness of what you can see.  The only option is to “hit the road”.
California Desert

The biggest surprise of the trip was Glamis Dunes / Algodones Dunes / Imperial Sand Dunes. A strip of sand dunes appeared unexpectedly.  It stretches over 45 miles long and it is approximately 6 mile wide. The dunes are the biggest mass sand dunes in California.  It supposed to be result of Colorado River floods and flow diverted over flat area.  I seldom use Wikipedia as a reference but I could not find a better source of information on Imperial Dunes.  It is also recreational area, for sport lovers. More information can be found at the website of the deserts of the United States.
Imperial Dunes - California

No comments:

Post a Comment